Although this site has nothing to do with penguins, angry or not, we welcome you to sit back, relax and enjoy a cup of freshly brewed kiss-my-ass.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Truth In Advertising?

In the local Rite-Aid, down the second aisle, on the left hand side, three quarters of the way down on the middle shelf, right next to the "Just For Men" hair color, lies the single most amusing article of hair products I have ever seen:

HEADLUBE


I laughed because it said "head". Then I laughed because it said "lube". Then I realized that combining the two ups the ante tenfold. It took a good 20 minutes for me to settle down and put all the dismantled products back on the shelf.

Afterwards, as I contemplated the life-altering events I had just experienced, I realized something. That product, no matter how effective or amazing or cheap they make it, will never last. Because no one wants to carry around a bright yellow Thermos labeled "Headlube".

Thus, we arrive at the first major point of product marketing mistakes: anything that resembles a sexual or explicit (read: hilarious) term ought to be avoided at all costs. Now, this might seem obvious, but you might be surprised at the number of products that fall into this trap. Next time you're in the store, look around. 1 in every 7 objects can be pointed at and giggled about.

And as a direct result of the first rule, many products fall victim to the second and opposite blunder: trying to make your product sound too badass. I don't care if it's H-UltraKickassPower2O. It's still water. And no matter what you add to it, it's still just water with shit added to it. No one takes Electric Thunder Shaving Cream seriously. Nor do they really contemplate buying HellFireCool chewing gum. (Gum has two flavors: mint and gum. Stick to it, fucko.) Thus we arrive at the second major pitfall of product marketing.

So people please, if you're selling lemonade, don't call it Delicious Fruity Squeezers, because that's just too easy a target. And don't call it Hydro-Lemon Liquid-Ice Powerdrink. Because that's just trying too hard. Stick to a sign that just says "Lemonade".

And if you really want to sell me some, call it "Good Fuckin' Lemonade". But all I can say is, that better be good fuckin' lemonade, because I'm not paying 50 cents for some shitty sugar-mixture. I dont care if you start to cry, you little F-ing 8-year-old scam artist. Give me my motherfuckin' money back or I'll upend this whole god-damn table. Fine, get your fuckin' parents, I'll tell them what kind of illegal shit you're running out here. And this lemonade sucks! Fuckers!




- Scott Clayton (Is Fully Non-Refundable)

7 people should've kept to themselves:

Anonymous Anonymous thought this was important...

1 person agrees. so far. And so should all others.

One may also notice this in Planet Smoothie. 'Tis a great place. But the names are sometimes rediculous. Which is why I order my simple "32 just chocolate" and give the nice man a tip for keeping my life simple. If you don't know Planet Smoothie, you do not know good smoothies and should likewise be slaughtered. Good night.


P.S. 'Tis a glorious day (night for all you being technical out there) for the Angry Penguin and its followers.


- Chris "Just Chocolate" Lombardi

4/25/2006 10:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous thought this was important...

This is so true, and this actually just helped me with a project I'm starting tomorrow. Thank you, Scott.


-shellie

4/26/2006 11:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous thought this was important...

in response to lombardi's post, some of the planet smoothie names are necessary. Chocolate Elvis is a necessary name beceause it is not a common thing. It is peanut butter, chocolate, bananas, some other stuff i'm not quite sure about. Reeses smoothie with bananas is not quite good enough. However, you could throw out the Lunar Lemonade one. That is actually a very badass name. And necessary. It's not just lemonade. It's got more ingredients, and the only proper word for it is lunar.

Anthony "I don't make sense" pellegrino

4/30/2006 5:32 PM

 
Blogger Scott thought this was important...

You are all fucking idiots.

The only point of realistic thought in all three of your incoherent ramblings was that last part:

Pellegrino definitely makes no fucking sense.

5/01/2006 4:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous thought this was important...

I'd have to say it's better to the err on the side of awesomeness than gayness.

Bob "Manlius (that's my Latin name)" Nuse

5/14/2006 6:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous thought this was important...

Hmmm, but then why do they keep opening new FUDDRUCKERS. I came from another country and when I arrive in TX, I saw this store and read it: Foodfuckers.
*gasp*
I cannot believe my eyes. then I have to look again and saw that it's was similar but not that bad.

My favorite stores:
Clothing Barn (why don't they have pictures of cow and call it FAT women's clothing?)

Chubbys (holly cow! They actually have people eating at Chubbys. makes you wonder how successful of an eating establishment it would be if they've name it Fatso?

7/14/2006 1:10 AM

 
Blogger Scott thought this was important...

Or Erection's.

7/28/2006 1:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home